This mince pie recipe is – without doubt my favourite. Given to me by my Nan – it is the taste of Christmas.
Ingredients To Make Christmas Mince Pies
For the Mince
- Mince Pie Mincemeat (about 600g)
- 2 satsumas, finely chopped
- 1 apple, finely chopped
- zest of 1 lemon
- Icing sugar for dusting
For the pie pastry
- 375g plain flour
- 260g unsalted butter
- 125g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs (for mixing and 1 for glazing)
- Pastry cutters (we use star and circle shaped ones).
How To Make Christmas Mince Pies
- Mix the plain flour unsalted butter and make into a crumb
- Add the caster sugar and 1 of the large eggs well beaten
- Fold the pastry on a flowered surface
- Wrap the pastry in cling film. Chill in the fridge for 10 mins
- Put the mincemeat into a bowl. Add 2 segmented of the satsumas. The finely chopped apple and the zest of 1 lemon
- Heat oven to 220C / 200C fan / gas 7
- Roll out the pastry to about 3mm to 4mm
- Cut out as many bases as you can. Probably aroun 15
- Put the bases in the trays.
- Add a good tbsp of the mincemeat
- Brush the edge of each pie with some beaten egg to make it sticky
- Use the rest of the pastry to cut 7 – 10 cm thickness tops (stars and circles)
- Press them on to the bases
- Make slight indents to make a nice pattern for the tops
- Glaze the pies with the beaten egg.
- Sprinkle with the extra caster sugar
- Cut a small slice into the tops to allow steam to get out during baking
- Bake for 15-20mins until golden brown.
- Leave to cool before taking them out of the trays.
- Dust again icing sugar before serving
Add cream, vanilla ice cream or brandy cream as an extra treat!