This easy bread recipe for kids came about because a little while ago we were reading the charming picture book The Little Red Hen by Paul Galdone. This is a classic retelling of the story with lovely illustrations.
The girls loved the story and wanted to make some bread themselves.
“We would love to help you make bread mummy,” the girls said.
found my favourite easy bread recipe for kids and we got started.
Easy bread recipe for kids Recipe Type: bread rollsAuthor: Here Come the GirlsPrep time: 3 hoursCook time: 10 minsTotal time: 3 hours 10 minsServes: 8An easy bread roll recipe to make with kids
You Will Need
- 500g bread flour
- 1 packet of fast action yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1oz butter
- 300 ml of warm water
- Mix the flour, salt and yeast.
- Add the butter and rub with fingers until it from breadcrumbs.
- Gradually add in the warm water and roll into a ball.
- Knead the dough for 15 minutes. With children take turns.
- Cover and set aside in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours.
- Separate into eight parts and roll into roll shapes.
- Put in a warm place for another hour.
- Heat the oven to 220C (425F)
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden.
For this recipe I doubled up all the ingredients so there was enough for the girls to make it themselves.
If I’m baking with all the girls then I make sure everything is ready beforehand. I have a bowl each so they all get a go.
I was a bit worried they would find the kneading a bit boring but they loved it. I guess it’s quite like messy play.
The nursery teddies were visiting that week so they had a go helping too. They didn’t want to miss out on eating the rolls when they were finished after all.
I love the look of concentration on the girls’ faces!
Inspired by the Great British Bake Off, the girls now have to kneel down by the oven and watch breathlessly while it cooks.
They were so pleased with the finished rolls. The bread was really soft and I was so pleased it was cooked right through.
Pin for later