Our house is full of small furry creatures with slightly creepy giant eyes. All three girls love beanie Ty Beanie Boos and avidly collect them so we have rather a lot in the house. It was obvious that the twins both love a Beanie Boo birthday cake for their birthday. One loves cats and the other loves monkeys so I decided to make them a cake each based on their favourite toys. It actually turned out to be a really simple cake to make and they loved the end result.
As I was making two cakes I made a large batch of cake mix using this Disney Frozen Birthday cake recipe. Then I halved it putting cocoa powder and a teaspoon of orange essence and some grated orange zest into one to make a chocolate orange cake for the monkey. The other I added a teaspoon of vanilla essence into the other. I baked these in a half sphere cake tin but you could use a circular cake tin and it would still look great. I then used a muffin tin and made 4 small circles of cake for the ears and nose of the monkey and the nose of the cat.
What You Will Need To Make A Monkey Beanie Boo Cake
- 1 round chocolate cake
- 3 cupcakes with the top sliced off
- chocolate butter icing
- vanilla butter icing
- Liquorice allsorts
How To Make A Beanie Boo Money Birthday Cake
- Shape the cake base into a monkey’s face. This was very easy using the large cake. Make two circles for ears and one large one in the middle at the bottom for the nose.
- Used a spatula to spread the chocolate icing roughly on the cake to make it look like fur.
- Make a lighter shape over the nose and two round circles for the eyes.
- Stick on two yellow liquorice Allsorts for the eyes.
- The finishing touch was to use a thin piping nozzle to pipe the nose and a smiley mouth.
If I was going to do this cake again I would use a piece of fondant and cut it into shape for the face as this would look neater
What You Will Need To Make A Beanie Boo Cat Cake
- 1 round cake
- 1 cupcake
- vanilla buttercream
- pink and black fondant icing
- liquorice allsorts
How To Make A Beanie Boo Cat Birthday Cake
The cat beanie Boo cake was slightly harder to decorate.
- Used a large round cake with a small circle of cake in the middle for the nose.
- Pipe vanilla buttercream onto the cake base and make it look like fur using a star-shaped nozzle
- Add it all over the cake including the nose.
- Make 2 cats ears using the fondant icing, matching the pattern of the Muffin the Beanie Boo.
- Stick two pink liquorice Allsorts on for the eyes and a pink jelly liquorice Allsorts cut into the shape of a cat nose.
- Roll out some pink fondant icing into thin strips and make a mouth and whiskers.
It was a lot quicker to decorate the cakes than I thought it would be. The liqourice allsorts made it look really realistic. I did try using a silver icing pen to make the eyes look a bit sparkly like a real beanie Boo but I don’t think it added much to the overall effect.
The finished cakes worked well for twins as they were a theme but also reflected their different personalities but you could easily make one cake on its own.
Summary: The Cakes Were delicious!
The cakes turned out so cute and the girls really loved them. We’ll definitely be making these again!
Pin for Later
We love baking at HereComeTheGirls. Why take a look at our other baking ideas.