I like the girls to make a few Christmas cakes for friends and relatives. This year we made these for the school Christmas Fair but I think they would be great gifts and they are easy to make.They are made to look like Christmas crackers one of my favourite traditions.
We were sent some Renshaw icing in traditional colours. This is great as it rolls out so smooth and gives a lovely finish to cakes.
Ingredients For The Christmas Cracker Cakes
For the cake
- 4oz butter
- 40z caster sugar
- 4oz self raising flour
- 2 medium eggs
- chocolate drops
For the decoration
- Red white and green ready to roll icing
- Strawberry laces
- Small chocolate sweet/cake topper
The cake is a simple sponge. Mix all the ingredients together, add the chocolate drops last .
How To Make Christmas Cracker Cakes
- Then bake in an oven set to 180 degrees C / gas mark 4 for about 20-25 minutes
- Leave to cool and cut into long rectangular pieces.
- Roll icing into a rectangle big enough to wrap around the cake.
- Pinch the ends and then tie the strawberry laces around.
- Cut the white icing into small stars and stick on the top of the cracker with some icing.
Add a small chocolate or mini cake topper to the middle of the star. We made two sets one with green and one with red icing. I was really pleased with how these turned out. they looked lovely in the box with a bit of tissue paper.
Disclaimer: We were sent an icing pack so we could take part.