I have been looking everywhere for an angel cake recipe. I wanted to make something special for the children at Christmas because they don’t like eating Christmas cake. All the recipes on the Internet seem to be for the American style polo shaped angel cake.
I wanted to make an angel cake in three layers with three colours like you can buy in the shops.
This cake has a light white base, I tried a conventional sponge cake but it didn’t work with the colours. I have added almond to the mix to make it a bit more Christmassy. This could be missed off if you prefer, or swapped with vanilla essence.
- 8oz (225g) butter
- 14 oz (400g) sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsps almond essence
- 1 pound (450g) of self raising flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 250 ml (1 cup) milk
- 1 tablespoon of pink and yellow food colouring
Method: How To Make A 3 Layer Angel Cake
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs and the almond essence.
- Mix the flour and baking powder together. Sift into the butter sugar and eggs.
- Add the milk.
- Put into separate bowls and add the food colouring.
- Pour into three lined greased cake tins.
- Bake for 30 mins, 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) Once baked, check the slices are flat.
- You might need to cut the edges off. These make very pretty sponge fingers.
- Stick the layers together using butter icing